How to overwinter Fragrant Angelique begonia bulbs?
To overwinter Fragrant Angelique begonia bulbs in colder climates, follow these steps:
• After the first frost, trim back the foliage to 2-3 inches above the soil line.
• Carefully dig up the bulbs, taking care not to damage them, and shake off excess soil.
• Allow the bulbs to dry for a week in a well-ventilated area away from direct sunlight.
• Once dry, pack the bulbs in peat moss, perlite, or vermiculite and store them in a cool, dry, and dark location with temperatures between 40-50°F (4-10°C).
• Inspect the bulbs periodically during storage for any signs of mold or rot.
• Replant the bulbs in spring after the last frost, following proper planting guidelines.
In areas with mild winters, such as in USDA hardiness zone 9 and up, you can leave your begonia bulbs year-round in the ground.